65th Judicial District Court, Family Law Court
Gary Aboud, Judge
500 E. San Antonio
El Paso, Texas 79901
Phone (915) 543-3859
Fax (915) 543-3858
65th Judicial District - Family Court
- About Us
- The Court’s objective is to expeditiously assist members of the community who are experiencing family difficulties. In doing so, the court uses pre-trial proceedings, mediation, and actual hearings when the parties cannot mutually agree to settle their differences. The Court’s philosophy is that the parties know their and their children’s needs better than any one else, and thus it is better for all concerned if they are able to reach a compromise.
- The 65th Associate Family Court handles all family law cases filed under the 65th District Court by virtues of an automatic referral order by the presiding court at the time of filing your case. That associate court does not handle the following: Adoption and Termination, Name Change, and Parental Notification cases pursuant to Chapter 33 of Title II of the Family Code.
- Cases will not be scheduled for a hearing over the telephone. Our court procedure is to use the Hearing Request Form available under court forms on the website or submit your pleadings when applicable) upon requesting a hearing date and time. Scheduled hearings will not be reset without the approval from both opponents.
- The litigants with attorneys should ask their attorneys about any legal questions. The court staff is not licensed attorneys, and they are not authorized to give any legal advice, provide an opinion, or answer legal question regarding issues concerning your case.
- Persons who choose to represent themselves must familiarize themselves with the court procedures. rules, and regulations governing family law. Litigants should have their decree ready at the time of the final hearing. We suggest you obtain information through the Family Law Manuals at the law library located on the 12th floor of the El Paso County Courthouse.
- This Court hears uncontested cases Monday through Thursday from 8:00 A.M. to 8:30 A.M. and on Fridays at 8:00 A.M. to 9:30 A.M. We recommend that you check in with the bailiff, Guillermo Maldonado prior to your hearing.
- All contested cases are to be scheduled accordingly by the court coordinator. The attorneys and litigants should be ready to proceed to hear their case at the time scheduled. All discussions must be completed prior to the scheduled date and time.
- All litigants in cases involving children are required to complete the COPE program “Helping Children Cope with Divorce,” offered through the YWCA before their case can be finalized. To obtain information regarding location, registration for, dates, and times of each session, you may contact the YWCA Coordinator at (915) 577-9922 ext. 247 or www.ywcaelpaso.org and clicking on the program, then scrolling down to Coping with Divorce.
- Requests for a case transcripts should be made directly by contacting the court reporter, Cecilia Looney at (915) 546-2033 or firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate your case number, style of case, and the date and time of the hearing.