UPDATE: CARBON MONOXIDE DETECTED IN LOWER VALLEY HOME
El Paso County Sheriff’s Office
3850 Justice Dr., El Paso, Texas 79938
Contact: Angelica Becerra
Public Information Officer
Office: (915) 538-2119
Pager: (915) 533-0733 (#5237)
“We Serve With Pride”
EL PASO TEXAS- On 12-27-2012 at approximately 5:00 PM Sheriff’s Deputies were dispatched to the 12300 block of Camino De La Rosa, El Paso County Texas in reference to a sick party. Deputies arrived to find Life Ambulance on scene and received further information of two unconscious residents in the home.
Further investigation resulted in the evacuation of several other residents after Deputies had no other cause for their disorientation. The San Elizario Fire Department was summoned to the scene and confirmed the disorientation was caused by high levels of carbon monoxide due to a leak in the home’s heater valve. A total of (5) residents ranging from 13 to 86 years of age were transported by Life Ambulance to local area hospitals. Four of the five remain in the hospital.
The Sheriff’s Office reminds the public to be aware of signs of carbon monoxide poisoning. Symptoms include headaches, dizziness, fatigue, nausea and/or flu like symptoms. More severe symptoms include shortness of breath, muscular weakness, convulsions, mental confusion and unconsciousness. Because carbon monoxide is odorless, tasteless and colorless making it difficult to detect, carbon monoxide alarm/detectors are recommended in all homes.
If you experience any of the symptoms leave the house immediately and call 911.
CARBON MONOXIDE TIPS:
- MAKE SURE APPLICANCES ARE PROPERLY CLEANED, MAINTAINED AND VENTED
- TEST SMOKE & CARBON ALARM/DETECTORS MONTHLY
- KEEP FRESH BATTERIES IN ALARMS/DETECTORS
- HAVE A PROFESSIONAL INSPECT HEATERS, FURNACES AND FIREPLACES
- HAVE AND KNOW YOUR ESCAPE PLAN
- KNOW WHEN TO CALL 9-1-1
Click on link below for additional reading.