Ruben P. Gonzalez
El Paso County Tax Assessor-Collector
301 Manny Martinez Dr., 1st Floor
El Paso, Texas 79905
Phone (915) 771-2300
Fax (915) 771-2301
COUNTY TAX ASSESSOR-COLLECTOR
UPCOMING HOLIDAY CLOSURES
Labor Day: September 5, 2016
Columbus Day: October 12,2016
- WHAT'S NEW.....
SEPTEMBER 1, 2016
Under the Texas Family Code, chapter 232, the office of the Attorney General Child Support Division will place a vehicle registration hold (Scofflaw) on the motor vehicle record of child support obligators who have gone at least 180 days without making a child support payment. For questions or information regarding your child support case, you may contact the Attorney General Child Support Division at:
The El Paso County Tax Assessor-Collector, Ruben P. Gonzalez,
is proud to announce the
opening of two new tax offices conveniently located to better serve you!
The Northwest County Annex Tax Office
435 E. Vinton, Suite B
Vinton, Texas 79821
[ View For Directions ]
The Eastside County Annex Tax Office
2350 George Dieter Dr., Suite B room 211
El Paso, Texas 79936
[ View For Directions ]
- Two Steps One Sticker Program
In an effort to prevent fraud and provide less clutter on windshields, the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles implemented the Two Step One Sticker Program. As of March 1, 2015, your vehicle is no longer issued an inspection sticker as your registration sticker serves as proof of inspection and registration. Your vehicle is still required to be inspected not more than 90 days before renewing your vehicle registration. Instead, you are provided with the Vehicle Inspection Report (VIR) and charged $18.50. Upon renewing your vehicle registration you will need to provide the VIR receipt along with your renewal notice to the County Tax Assessor-Collector's Office and pay the applicable registration fees and the $8.25 State portion fee of the vehicle inspection.
As of March 1, 2016, all vehicles will reflect the same expiration date for both the vehicle registration and inspection. Every year thereafter the vehicle inspection must be performed within 90 days before renewing the registration sticker.
[ View Two Step One Sticker Calendar ]
To calculate when you need to have your vehicle inspected, click on the following link: http://twostepsonesticker.com/motorists, click on the heading to the right
“When Do I Inspect?”, and then on “Calculate My Date”.
For duplicate copies of your Vehicle Inspection Report (VIR), you may visit http://www.mytxcar.org to download and print a copy of the document.
- Press Releases & News
- Posted: February 4, 2016, West Texas County Courier
- Sir, I have lived in El Paso on 3 different occasions. I still own some property there. Recently I visited the office of the Tax Assessor-Collector, and was pleasantly surprised to see that Ruben Gonzalez, a graduate of Canutillo High School, is the new Tax Assessor-Collector. The customer service and courtesy at the tax office was excellent. I was so impressed that I researched the career of Mr. Gonzalez.
- I was amazed to find that he had 38 years experience as a motor vehicle administrator. I am sure the automobile owners and car dealers in El Paso appreciate the excellent customer service and expertise that Mr. Gonzalez brings to the area of vehicle registrations and titles. I congratulate the County Commissioners on their selection of Mr. Gonzalez.
- While living in El Paso I learned Spanish which changed my life in a very positive manner. As a result I was able to serve the Army in several interesting positions in Central and South America, and later help establish an Hispanic Outreach Committee and a television program called “Latinos en Columbus” in Columbus Georgia. Without the help and inspiration of the friendly people in El Paso, Socorro and the other communities in the Lower Valley, that would not have been possible. Every time I return for a visit to El Paso I see significant improvements in the city/county. A progressive and safe area, with people who are still as friendly as when I lived there.
LTC (Ret) Olin Doss
- El Paso County Commissioners Court appoints new tax assessor-collector
- Posted: 03/09/2015 05:23:36 PM MDT ElpasoTimes.com
- The El Paso County Commissioners Court on Monday appointed Ruben Gonzalez, a former regional manager for the
Texas Department of Motor Vehicles, as the new county's tax assessor-collector.
Gonzalez, from El Paso, was appointed to cover the unexpired term of Victor Flores, who had almost two years left in
office, but resigned in February because of health issues.
"I look forward to meeting the challenges of this office, utilizing my skills and experience to provide the best customer
service that El Paso county residents deserve," Gonzalez told Commissioners Court after his appointment.
Gonzalez retired from the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles in 2011 after more than 38 years, he said.
Gonzalez has 26 years of experience supervising vehicle, title and registration laws, and training and supporting tax
assessor-collectors and their staff, said County Judge Veronica Escobar.
"When we look at a department as large as the tax assessor-collector, from my own perspective, experience in overseeing
all those laws and that many people and the operations of that office is really critical," Escobar said. "I know that we have a
second in command who has some experience in the office, but Mr. Gonzalez's overall experience was impressive."
Gonzalez was selected over Frank Ortiz, chief deputy for the county tax assessor-collector, and two other finalists, Juan
Sandoval, the city's former tax assessor-collector, and Terry Gutierrez, owner of a private tax-titling office.
While the other three finalists were very competitive, Escobar said she was impressed with Gonzalez's experience.
Gonzalez said he assisted and trained tax assessor-collector offices in Brewster, Culberson, El Paso, Hudspeth, Jeff
Davis and Presidio counties.
Gonzalez said he is familiar with the responsibilities, functions and roles of the county tax assessor-collector.
Commissioner David Stout, who said he initially advocated for continuity and supported the appointment of Ortiz, on
Monday voted to hire Gonzalez and said he knows Gonzalez's experience will be helpful to the county of El Paso.
Gonzalez will earn $93,222 a year and he will oversee 76 employees, said Betsy Keller, the director for the county's
human resources department.
Among the duties of the county tax assessor-collector are issuing automotive license renewals, registrations, title transfers
and the collection of road and bridge fees, alcoholic beverage permits and hotel-motel occupancy taxes.
Aileen B. Flores may be reached at 546-6362.
- Designa el Condado recaudador de impuestos
- Roberto Carrillo
El Diario de El Paso | Lunes 09 Marzo 2015 | 22:55 hrs
- Más de 30 años de experiencia profesional en el Departamento de Vehículos Motorizados de Texas constituyeron la clave para que Rubén González fuera nombrado como jefe de la Oficina de Recolección de Impuestos del Condado de El Paso.
Ayer, la Corte de Comisionados del Condado de El Paso ratificó a González en el puesto, después de que Víctor Flores optara por el retiro tras permanecer en dicho cargo desde 1996.
‘La experiencia del señor González es impresionante, por ello es que decidimos elegirlo de entre varios candidatos calificados’, dijo Verónica Escobar, juez del Condado.
Rubén González es originario de Canutillo, pero desarrolló gran parte de su carrera como gerente regional del Departamento de Vehículos Motorizados de Texas en Odessa, dando servicio y capacitación a los funcionarios de diferentes condados.
‘Busco enfrentar los retos de este departamento, utilizando mi experiencia y conocimientos para dar el mejor servicio al cliente como merecen los residentes del Condado de El Paso’, dijo González al darse a conocer su nombramiento en la junta de comisionados.
En su anterior puesto, González mantuvo fuertes nexos con las oficinas de Departamento de Transporte de Texas, con el Departamento de Policía de El Paso, el Departamento de Seguridad Interna, el Servicio de Aduana de los Estados Unidos, y el Departamento de Vehículos Motorizados de Odessa.
‘Es cierto que teníamos diferentes candidatos con experiencia, sobre todo el encargado interino de la oficina, pero la experiencia de González fue definitiva al hacer la elección’, dijo la juez Escobar al referirse a Frank Ortiz, quien dirigió la Oficina de Recolección de Impuestos del Condado tras el retiro de Víctor Flores.
En su cargo como gerente regional, González administró y capacitó al personal de 15 diferentes condados en el manejo de trámites de títulos, registros, permisos provisionales y aplicaciones para vehículos que serían exportados a México.
González tomará el cargo inmediatamente, y para su nuevo encargo tendrá un sueldo de 93 mil 222 dólares al año.