The primary goal is to review potential claims the County may have against vendors, suppliers, and other private and governmental entities, and advise the County officials on how to proceed, including the filing of lawsuits. The duties include the following:
- Insure the prompt payment to El Paso County of monies owed to the County as a result of damage to County property
- Insure the prompt payment to El Paso County of monies owed as a result of subrogation claims
- Insure the prompt collection of delinquent Hotel/Motel taxes upon the request of the County Tax Collector
- Initiate lawsuits against other State & local agencies to enforce rights of El Paso County citizens.
The goal is to provide legal representation to the County, the Commissioners Court and County officials and employees in all lawsuits, EEOC claims, legal claims, civil service grievances, and administrative actions which may give rise to County liability. The duties include the following:
- Represent the County in civil lawsuits filed against the County and/or its officials and monitor cases in which the County is represented by outside counsel
- Represent departments and elected officials in grievance proceedings before the El Paso County Civil Service Commission upon request, including gathering documents and interviewing witnesses
- Represent departments and elected officials in proceedings before the United States Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
- Evaluate claims and lawsuits filed against the El Paso County by gathering documents and interviewing witnesses, determine liability and potential damages
- Monitor and resolve disputes under the contract between El Paso County and the El Paso County Sheriff's Officers' Association, Inc.
- Implement automated case tracking system
- Conduct training to County Administrators in employment practices and procedures as a preventative measure to avoid litigation in the areas of FLSA, FMLA, ADA and ADEA.
To protect the citizens of El Paso County in disputes regarding illegal subdivisions, deceptive business practices and threats to the health and safety of the citizens of El Paso, County.
The primary goal is to analyze petitions for expunction, retrieve the criminal file and appear at the proceedings on behalf of the agencies and offices.
- determine whether to oppose or agree to expunction, file necessary pleadings and represent County agencies at the expunction hearing.