Monday - Friday
8:00 am to 5:00 pm
500 E. San Antonio
5th Floor, Suite 503
El Paso, Texas 79901
Phone (915) 546-2050
Fax (915) 546-2133
8:30 am to 5:30 pm
Ysleta Annex Office
9521 Socorro Rd.
El Paso, Texas 79927
Phone (915) 858-2239
Fax (915) 858-0631
- Press Releases 2007
- County Attorney Sues Local Company Accused Of Defrauding El Paso County (26.8 KB)
El Paso County Attorney José R. Rodríguez has filed a suit on behalf of El Paso County against LKG Enterprises Inc. and its president, Ruben García Jr., alleging they failed to provide professional services contracted for the Border Children’s Mental Health Collaborative (BCMHC), a federal grant program designed to provide a network of services to children suffering from mental health illnesses and their families.
of Appeals Decision Denies Medicaid Recipients Right to Sue for
Equal Access to Healthcare (27.9 KB)
- Elected officials called to remedy Medicaid funding gaps in Texas
- The Fifth Circuit United States Court of Appeals in New Orleans has ordered the dismissal of a 4-year-old lawsuit filed by Equal Access for El Paso, a nonprofit healthcare advocacy organization, along with a coalition of Medicaid recipients, healthcare providers and the El Paso County Hospital District, in an attempt to force the Texas Health and Human Services Commission to stop its practice of inequitably funding healthcare in the state by establishing Medicaid reimbursement rates that discriminate against poor border communities such as El Paso.
- EN ESPAÑOL (28.7 KB)
- County Attorney’s Office To Host Legal Assistance Day For The Elderly (27.0 KB)
- Many people look forward to old age as a time for rest and relaxation, a time to reap the rewards of a lifetime of hard work, and a time to live with dignity. Unfortunately, this vision never materializes for many senior citizens in El Paso. Too often, many find the consequences of living on a fixed income more difficult than they had envisioned. The elderly population faces numerous problems at a time in their lives when strength and ability may be weakened. Additionally, the elderly population is often a target for unscrupulous and/or illegal business practices or scams.
Attorney To Discuss Access To Health Care Issues At UTEP
- On Tuesday November 20, 2007 El Paso County Attorney José R. Rodríguez will participate in a UTEP roundtable discussion to address the problems of access to healthcare in border communities such as El Paso. Rodríguez is currently Chairman of the Border Health Committee of the Texas Border Coalition, an organization of elected officials, chambers of commerce and cities and counties along the Texas, Mexican border.
- Assistant County Attorney to Talk to Teens from All over the County about How to Prevent Dating Violence (26.2 KB)
- On Saturday November 10, 2007, Gabriella Edwards Holguin, Chief of the Family Violence Unit of the El Paso County Attorney's Office, will address more than a hundred teens from all over the County about the problems associated with dating violence.
- Assistant County Attorneys to Train EPPD Officers on How to Handle Deceptive Business Cases (25.6 KB)
- On Wednesday November 7, 2007, Assistant County Attorneys Kent Sutton and Clinton Cross will train dozens of El Paso Police officers from the Northeast Regional Command on how to process and investigate Deceptive Business Practice cases.
- El Paso
County Attorney to Educate Parents in Clint, Texas about the Problem of International Juvenile Drug Trafficking (25.9 KB)
- On Saturday November 3, 2007, El Paso County Attorney Jose Rodriguez and Community Prosecutor Tracy Almazán will talk to dozens of parents from the Clint Independent School District about international juvenile drug trafficking and its effects on our community .
County Attorney to Educate Victims of Domestic Violence on the Process
for Obtaining a Protective Order
- On Saturday November 3, 2007, Assistant County Attorney Gabriella Edwards-Holguin will teach victims of domestic violence, counselors and law enforcement officers about the legal process for obtaining a protective order.
- Statement from El Paso County Attorney Regarding Asarco’s Accusation of Conflict of Interest (36.9 KB)
- "The County Attorney takes his duties and responsibilities very seriously and he does not agree that there is a conflict of interest. The matter has been referred to the appropriate state agency which will be making the determination, not the County Attorney, as to whether Asarco should be criminally prosecuted."
- El Paso County Attorney And Law Enforcement Peace Officer Request TCEQ To Conduct A Criminal Enforcement Review Against Asarco (27.4 KB)
- Today, El Paso County Attorney José R. Rodriguez and a Texas
peace officer requested the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality
(TCEQ) to conduct a criminal enforcement review against Asarco on
possible violations of federal and state environmental and health laws,
including the Texas Solid Waste Disposal Act, the Texas Health and Safety
Code, and the Texas Water Code. The alleged violations stem from the
transportation, storage, and disposal of hazardous wastes.
ESPAÑOL. (27.6 KB)
- Letter sent to TCEQ Commissioner requesting the Criminal Enforcement Review (3.15 KB)
- Statement From El Paso County Attorney Regarding The Request For Criminal Review Against Asarco (36.9 KB)
- “My office is continuing its review of the request for criminal investigation made by the ‘Get the Lead Out’ Coalition, including allegations of criminal violations by ASARCO.”
- Candlelight Vigil To Raise Awareness About Mental Illness In El Paso (27.3 KB)
- On Thursday October 11, 2007, dozens of local residents will light up the night to raise awareness about mental illness in our community.
- Collective Bargaining Negotiations Between El Paso County And The Sheriff’s Association Come To A Halt (27.3 KB)
- On Thursday September 20, 2007, members of the “County Collective Bargaining Team” met with representatives from the El Paso County Sheriff’s Association to negotiate terms for the new contract for uniformed members of the El Paso County Sheriff’s Office. The contract is estimated to be worth more than a quarter of a billion dollars over the next 5 years.
- County Attorney To Receive ‘Heroes In The Fight’ Award In Austin, Texas (26.7 KB)
- El Paso County Attorney José R. Rodríguez will be among the seven recipients of the “2007 Heroes in the Fight” award to be presented on Wednesday September 12, 2007 by Mental Health America of Texas during a special ceremony to be held in Austin, Texas.
- Neglected And Abused Children In El Paso Need Foster Families (28.9 KB)
- On Friday, August 24, 2007, El Paso County Attorney José R. Rodríguez, the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services, and the El Paso C.A.R.E. (Child Advocacy Recruitment Effort) Coalition will host the 2007 Adoption Conference and Professional Seminar.
- County Attorney organizes free seminar to help local merchants collect on their hot checks (27.2 KB)
- Dozens of local small business owners and employees are expected to participate in the annual Free Hot Check Seminar, to be held Friday August 24, 2007 at the County Courthouse. EN ESPAÑOL (28.6 KB)
- County Sues Western Playland Owner To Collect Costs Of Cleaning Up Ascarate Park
El Paso County Attorney José R. Rodríguez today filed
a civil lawsuit on behalf of El Paso County against Western Playland,
Inc. alleging it has failed to perform a costly clean up of its former
site at Ascarate Park, including the removal of dangerous asbestos
and toxic chemicals. EN
ESPAÑOL (28.7 KB)
County Attorney’s Statement Regarding Former County Commissioner Betti Flores’ Guilty Plea
“As legal advisor to both the County and the Hospital District, I am keenly aware of the negative effect and implications that former County Commissioner Betty Flores’ recent admissions will have on county business and operations and Thomason Hospital.
Teens to Complete Sentence By Attending “Life Skills” Classes
Teen Court Program of the El Paso County Attorney’s Office will be offering mandatory Life Skills classes for juvenile defendants on Wednesday June 27 and Thursday June 28, 2007 at the County Courthouse.
El Paso County Attorney to Receive the Reynaldo Garza Lifetime Achievement Award (27.4 KB)
On Friday June 22, 2007, the State Bar of Texas Hispanic Issues Section will present the Reynaldo Garza Lifetime Achievement Award to the El Paso County Attorney José R. Rodríguez, during a ceremony to be held in San Antonio, TX.
US/Mexico Border and Immigration Task Force Members Travel to Washington DC (24.6 KB)
They will meet with key members of Congress and White House officials
to promote the adoption of a more humane, comprehensive immigration
El Paso, TX. – June 2007 Members of the US/Mexico
Border and Immigration Task Force will travel to Washington DC to advocate
for the inclusion of several initiatives in the immigration reform
bill that will be discussed by members of Congress in the next few
of members that will travel
- Statement Issued by County Attorney José R. Rodríguez Regarding the Ongoing FBI Criminal Investigation
During the past few days, elected officials, the media and concerned El Paso citizens have been demanding some kind of response from county authorities to the very serious allegations of illegal activities uncovered by the ongoing FBI investigation of several county officials and others. EN ESPAÑOL
Listen to the press conference (English and Spanish).
- Only 2 Days Left To Take Advantage of the Hot Check Amnesty Period (35.7 KB)
El Paso County residents with outstanding hot check warrants have only 2 days left to take advantage of the Amnesty period.
County Attorney Announces Amnesty Period for Hot Check Writers (39.9 KB)
El Paso County Attorney José R. Rodríguez announced today that, given the overwhelming response by local residents, he has decided to join the Amnesty Week announced by the El Paso Police Department and the Municipal Court. EN ESPAÑOL (36.6 KB)
County Attorney to Address Immigration Reform Issues at LULAC’s State Convention (26.0 KB)
On Saturday May 26, 2007 El Paso County Attorney José R. Rodriguez will address the youth participants in LULAC’s Annual State Convention at the El Paso Marriot Hotel.
Outstanding Warrants List to be Published in Sunday’s “El Paso Times” Newspaper (168 KB)
On Sunday May 27, 2007, the El Paso Police Department, Municipal Court and the El Paso County Attorney’s Office will publish the names of thousands of individuals with outstanding traffic and hot check warrants. The list contains about 80,000 names, including residents of communities surrounding El Paso area in Texas and New Mexico. EN ESPAÑOL (27.3 KB)
Federal, State and Local Agents to Receive Specialized Training on How to Fight the Proliferation of Gangs (26.8 KB)
On Monday May 21, 2007, El Paso County Attorney José R. Rodriguez will train dozens of federal, state and local law enforcement officers on strategies regarding civil prosecution of gang members and stopping the proliferation of violent street gangs.
County Attorney Requests The Lt. Governor To Support Expansion Of CHIP Health Insurance (27.7 KB)
El Paso County Attorney José R. Rodriguez, Chairman of the Committee on Border Health of the Texas Border Coalition (“TBC”), delivered today a letter in behalf of TBC to the Honorable David Dewhurst, Lieutenant Governor of Texas, requesting his support to expand medical coverage for children under the CHIP program. The letter was hand delivered this afternoon to his office in Austin.
Hot Check Writers Have Only 3 More Days To Pay And Avoid Publication Of Their Names (25.8 KB)
On Sunday May 27, 2007, the Paso Police Department, the Municipal Court and the El Paso County Attorney’s Office will publish the names of thousands of individuals with outstanding traffic and hot check warrants. Individuals wanting to avoid the publication of their names in the newspaper must pay all amounts due by Friday May 11, 2007.
County Attorney Requests Investigation On Allegations Made By County Judge (25.8 KB)
After waiting 30 days for the El Paso County Judge Anthony Cobos to follow through with his promise to request an investigation, County Attorney José R. Rodríguez has asked the County Ethics Board to initiate a formal inquiry into the unfounded allegations made against him.
Hot Checks Warrants List Available Over The Internet (24.8 KB)
El Paso County Attorney José Rodríguez announced today there are currently more than 5,800 names in the county’s hot checks warrants list. The list is available from any computer with internet access by visiting the El Paso County web page: www.epcounty.com.
El Paso County Attorney To Welcome More Than 800 New Citizens (25.3 KB)
El Paso County Attorney José R. Rodríguez will be the featured speaker at today’s naturalization ceremony at the Convention and Performing Arts Center. The Honorable Philip Martínez, U.S. District Judge will preside over the ceremony where nearly 850 new citizens will take the oath of allegiance.
County Attorney Recipient of LULAC's 2007 Humanitarian Award (57.2 KB)
El Paso County Attorney José R. Rodriguez will be one of 4 local individuals to be recognized tonight by LULAC Project Amistad as recipient of the “2007 Lucy G. Acosta Humanitarian Award”.
Law enforcement officers to receive training on how to combat violent street gangs (187 KB)
On Friday March 30, 2007 El Paso County Attorney José R. Rodríguez will offer area law enforcement officers legal training on how to fight the proliferation of violent street gangs and the crime they create.
El Paso County Attorney Requests the Texas Legislature to Restore Medicaid and CHIP Health Services (192.KB)
El Paso County Attorney José R. Rodríguez will be in Austin, Texas today Wednesday March 28 to testify before a legislative committee to address the lack of access to medical services by low income Texans. EN ESPAÑOL (191.KB)
Courts Reject Legal Challenges to the DIMS Program (57.2 KB)
- 3/16/07 (42.1 KB)
El Paso County Attorney José R. Rodríguez and District Attorney Jaime Esparza announced jointly today that a series of cases challenging the DIMS arrest and booking process of El Paso County and the City of El Paso have all been dismissed this week by two different federal judges. The D.I.M.S. program was developed by District Attorney Jaime Esparza who has maintained that the decade-old, time-tested program serves justice and El Paso County taxpayers well. More than 1,000 defendants arrested for misdemeanor crimes are processed through D.I.M.S. monthly. EN ESPAÑOL
El Paso / Southern Delegation Travels to Washington to Advocate for Immigration Reform (31.0 KB)
El Paso County Attorney José R. Rodríguez informed today that a delegation of El Paso/Southern New Mexico residents and community leaders will be holding meetings with members of the U. S. Congress in Washington DC. today Tuesday March 13, Wednesday, March 14, and Thursday, March 15, 2007. EN ESPAÑOL (38.2KB)
Teen Drug Trafficking Prevention Commercials to Run on Cable-TV During Spring Break (99.7 KB)
El Paso County Attorney José R. Rodríguez announced today that his office has partnered with the Rio Grande Safe Communities Coalition and Time Warner Cable to broadcast two different commercials that describe the direct consequences that teens face when they accept to become ‘drug mules' and try to smuggle drugs across the International Ports of Entry. EN ESPAÑOL
Another Notary Public Convicted of Criminal Deceptive Business Practices (54.5 KB)
- 2/27/07 (51.2 KB)
El Paso County Attorney José R. Rodríguez announced today
the sentencing of an Upper Valley notary public accused of engaging
in Deceptive Business Practices. María Estela Soriano, doing
business as “ITB Income Tax and Bookkeeping Services,” pled
guilty on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 to one count of engaging in Deceptive
Business Practices for failing to provide legal services she was paid
to perform. The trial took place this morning at the County Court at
Law #2. EN
Assistant County Attorney named Chief of the Family Violence Unit (51.1 KB)
El Paso County Attorney José R. Rodriguez informed today that Assistant County Attorney Gabriella Edwards-Holguin has been appointed Chief of the Family Violence Unit. Edwards holds the position left vacant recently by Jesús Rodríguez, who was appointed Associate Judge of the new family court.
Notary Public Convicted of Criminal Deceptive Business Practices (70.5 KB)
- 2-16-07 (75.5 KB)
El Paso County Attorney José R. Rodríguez announced today the sentencing of a Socorro notary public accused of engaging in deceptive business practices. EN ESPAÑOL
- County Attorney Recipient of the El Paso Police Department's "Vision Award" (32.1 KB)
The El Paso County Attorney José R. Rodríguez has been granted the “Vision Award” conferred every year by the El Paso Chief of Police to individuals or organizations distinguished for their outstanding community service. The award was presented during the 2006 Chief’s Annual Awards Ceremony at the El Paso Country Club on Friday, February 9, 2007.
- Conference to Teach Teens About How to Avoid Getting Into Abusive Relationships (28.1 KB)
- Dating violence is rapidly becoming one of the most worrisome problems affecting teenagers. According to the Federal Bureau of Justice, in 1995 seven percent of all murder victims were young women who were killed by their boyfriends. Even more, women ages 16 to 24 experience the highest per capita rates of intimate violence--nearly 20 per 1000 women. EN ESPAÑOL
- Former Assistant County Attorney to be Sworn-In as New Family Court Judge (29.6 KB)
El Paso County Attorney José R. Rodríguez informed today that the Chief of the Family Violence Unit of the County Attorney’s Office, Jesus Rodríguez, has been named judge of the new Family Associate Court by the El Paso Council of Judges.
County Attorney Obtains Order to Protect Horses from Malnurishment and Abuse (83.9 KB)
- El Paso County Attorney José R. Rodríguez has obtained
a judicial order to protect two horses from malnourishment and abuse,
while the owner, accused of animal cruelty, is taken to trial. EN
- Supreme Court
Decision Absolves El Paso County From Paying Millions of Dollars.
Attorney litigates successfully before nation's highest court
- El Paso County Attorney José R. Rodríguez announced today that the U. S. Supreme Court declined to consider an appeal filed by the widow of an inmate who died in the El Paso County Detention Facility in 1997. The widow, Jesse Dorado, filed a lawsuit against El Paso County claiming that various detention officers and medical staff of the El Paso jail violated the inmate’s constitutional rights by failing to provide medical attention to her husband, a Mexican physician whose family claimed he suffered from a seizure disorder.
Attorney to Discuss Legal and Financial Impact of Supreme Court's
Decision on Jail Death Case (25.5 KB)
On Tuesday, January 16, 2007 at 2 PM at the County Attorney’s Office, El Paso County Attorney José R. Rodríguez will discuss the legal and financial impact of the U.S. Supreme Court’s decision to decline hearing an appeal from the widow of a man who died in the County jail in 1997. The case is known as Jesse Dorado vs. County of El Paso.