Judy Branham
Executive Director

Monday - Friday
8:00 am to 4:30 pm

500 E. San Antonio
Suite LL-108
El Paso, Texas 79901
Phone (915) 834-8200
Fax (915) 834-8299

Management Action Plan

Domestic Relations Office

  • Do I need an Attorney?
  • In any court case, a person has the option of being represented by an attorney or representing themselves there are many do-it-yourself divorce kits available at a seemingly low cost. However, if you do not have the advice of an attorney you may not understand all of the implications of your court order in regards to child support, child custody, visitation and property rights. Research shows that parents that have to go back to court after their divorce often do so because they have an unenforceable court order and/or did not understand their court order correctly. An attorney can make sure that your court order is enforceable, that it meets all of the requirements of the Texas Family Code, that your rights are protected and that you understand what your rights and responsibilities are.
  • Do I need an attorney for my family law case?
  • Whenever important things are at stake, such as child support, custody, debts, or property rights, you may need an attorney. Family Law is extremely complicated and no "do it yourself packet" can give you the guidance you would receive from attorney.
  • I tried to find an attorney, but they all wanted too much money. What can I do?
  • Both the El Paso Bar Association and the FLIC maintain a roster of attorneys who handle family law cases. Call around Attorneys' fees can vary widely, from attorney to attorney. Where one attorney may insist on several thousand dollars up front, another attorney may be willing to give you advice about your case for a few hundred dollars.
  • But my case seems very simple and I think I can do it myself.
  • There are many hidden dangers laying in wait for the unaware. Because you are not an attorney, you may not even recognize the possible negative consequences of a bad court order. For example, in am agreed divorce involving children, people often put in the divorce decree that any visitation by the non-custodial parent will be by the agreement of the two parents. Under Texas law this provision may be unenforceable. Texas law requires orders for child support and visitation to be extremely specific in order to be enforceable.
  • Can I hire an attorney, just to give me advice?
  • Many attorneys will give you a consultation without requiring that you hire them to actually represent you. Some attorneys will even review paperwork that you have prepared yourself. When you call an attorney's office, ask if this is a possibility.
  • How can I find an attorney?
  • For help in finding a lawyer, you may contact:
  • Family Law Information Center, 915-834-8200 ext. 4049, Open weekdays 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., FLIC is located within the Domestic Relations Office at the El Paso County Courthouse, Room LL-108. FLIC maintains a roster of attorneys willing to provide discounted consultations in family law cases.
  • El Paso Bar Association, Nancy Gallegos, (915)532-7052, Open weekdays 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., the El Paso Bar Association is located in the El Paso County Courthouse, Room LL-112. The El Paso Bar Association referral program offers a 30 minute consultation for $20
  • State Bar Association provides a lawyer referral service through their website at www.texasbar.com or at their toll free number 1-877-9TEXBAR (1-877-983-9227). Hours of operation are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
  • If you do choose to handle your case yourself or even if you would just like more information about Family Law issues, the Family Law Information Center offers classes on topics such as child support, child custody, and visitation. For more information on these classes you may contact us at: 915-834-8200 ext. 4049.