Human Resources Dept.
500 E. Overland
El Paso, Texas 79901
Phone (915) 546-2218
Fax (915) 546-8126
Human Resources Department
- Job Opportunities
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Job Application Questions
- Q: How do I apply and submit my application?
- A: You can submit your application online at www.epcounty.com/jobs. Our Job Application website has instructions on each page for the applicant.
- You will be required to provide or obtain a valid email address prior to completing your profile. You may set up a free email account from any number of free services, including: Yahoo!, Gmail, AOL, Hotmail, etc.
- If you do not have a computer with internet service, you will be able to access the system from any of the County of El Paso Human Resource Department locations (800 E. Overland, Suite 223, El Paso, TX 79901 or 3850 Justice Road, El Paso, TX 79938.
- Recruitments may be open to the public or open as “In-House Only”, which means one must be a current County employee to be eligible to apply.
- Q: I cannot access the online application. What should I do?
- A: Our on-line Job Application system is provided by NeoGov. If you have problems while applying on-line, please contact NeoGov at 855-524-5627.
- If the NeoGov Help Desk is not able to assist you, please call our County of El Paso Human Resources Office at (915) 546-2218 between the hours of 8 am and 5 pm.
- Q: Do I need to submit anything else with my application?
- A: If supplemental information or other materials are required as part of an application, it will be indicated on the job posting. The supplemental materials are necessary to determine if the minimum qualifications for the position for which you are applying are met. In order to be considered, you must submit all supplemental information at the same time you submit your application. Any additional materials may be attached to your application at the time of the on-line submission. Accepted file formats are: Acrobat Portable Document Format ('.pdf'), Microsoft Excel Spreadsheet ('.xls'), or Microsoft Word Document ('.doc').
- Copies of any required licenses, transcripts or certificates that have been identified in the job announcement should be submitted immediately in order for your application to be accepted.
- Note: All materials must be received by the Department of Human Resources on or before the closing date.
- Q: I want to apply for several of the jobs listed. Do I need to submit a separate application for each job classification?
- A: Yes. Every application is evaluated separately based on the classification for which you are applying. It is, therefore, necessary to turn in a separate application for each job posting. Candidates can simply update their previous application on file and submit for other job opportunities.
- Q: How can I be sure my on-line application was received?
- A: When your application is received, you will receive a confirmation email. You can log onto NeoGov using the User ID and password that you created when you submitted your application to view the status at any time.
- Q: What do I do if my mailing address has changed since I submitted my application?
- A: Go to our website at www.epcounty.com/jobs. Logon to your profile by entering your User ID and password. Select "My Account" then select "Edit Contact Information". Make the necessary changes and then select "Save".
- Q: How will I be contacted with information about the status of my application?
- A: You can log onto NeoGov using the User ID and password that you created when you submitted your application to view the status at any time.
- Testing Procedures Questions
- Q: Is there a test for every job?
- A: No, the evaluation process for a specific employment opportunity may be any one, or a combination of the following: rating of information contained in your employment application and supplemental forms, written multiple choice test, written test, typing test, physical test, psychological test, drug screening, and/or interview.
- Q: Can I prepare for the test and are there study guides?
- A: All tests are related to the position and examination topics come from knowledge, skills, and abilities required for the position. We recommend that you review the knowledge, skills, and abilities posted on the job specification.
- Q: How will I be contacted with information about the status of my examination?
- A: Applicants are notified by email about the status of your examination
- Q: How do I arrange for Special Accommodation for an examination?
- A: Persons with disabilities can make arrangements for accommodations during the evaluation and selection process by contacting the Human Resources Department.
- Hiring Process Questions
- Q: How will I know when you’re recruiting for a specific job?
- A: All current recruitments will be listed on the Job Postings page of our website. You also have an option to submit an interest card in our NeoGov on-line Job Application system and you will be notified when that recruitment is opened.
- Q: Can I submit a Job Interest Card?
- A: If our current openings do not include jobs you are interested in at this time, you may complete a job interest notification request. To sign up for email notifications, you can request job notifications by specific job title and job code. You will be notified by email once the position(s) you are interested in are open for recruitment.
- Q: I have submitted my application - what happens next?
- A: After you submit your application, it will be evaluated by the Human Resources Department. The Human Resources Department will evaluate applications by assessing applicants' job-related knowledge, skills and abilities to assure that the applicant meets the requirements for the position as stated in the recruitment announcement. If qualified, testing for the position may or may not follow; you will be contacted by email or phone if you are selected to test. If testing is conducted, you will receive notice of your qualification or disqualification based on your score. The individual departments will be contacting their top applicants for the next step in the process. You may always check the status of your application on your online profile.
- Q: If I am interviewed for a position and not selected…will I be notified?
- A: Yes, you will be notified that you were not selected.
- General Employment Questions
- Q: Are there any pre-employment requirements?
- A: Some positions require successful completion of a background investigation, truth verification, drug screening, physical tests, and/or a psychological evaluation. All candidates must demonstrate the ability to perform the essential functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Q: Where will I work and where is the job located?
- A: The job location varies with the department. There are multiple work locations within the County.
- Q: Can I transfer employment from another County?
- A: No, we have no employment reciprocity with other public agencies.
- Q: Does the County offer Veteran’s Preference?
- A: No, the County does not offer Veteran’s Preference.
- Q: Do I have to be a U.S. Citizen to be hired?
- A: The County only hires U.S. citizens and lawfully authorized alien workers. Every new hire will be required to complete an Employment Verification Certification (Form I-9).
- Q: Are there policies pertaining to Smoking, Alcohol and/or Drugs?
- A: It is the policy of the County of El Paso to maintain a workplace that is free of drugs and alcohol. Any unlawful manufacture, distribution, dispensation, possession, or use of a controlled substance in the workplace is strictly prohibited and shall be grounds for disciplinary action up to and including immediate termination.