West Texas Community Supervision and Corrections
Director Magdalena Morales-Aina
800 E. Overland
El Paso, Texas 79901-2516
Phone (915) 546-8120
Fax (915) 546-8130
West Texas Community Supervision and Corrections Department
- In the News
- Opinion Wednesday, October 22, 2003
- Agency's progress threatened by cuts
- The story on the adult probation department gave insight into this important but beleaguered agency, which is struggling with budget cuts, large caseloads and public misconception.
- I have worked with this department since 1985, and many of its officers are outstanding. Their commitment to turn offenders around, set them on the right path and keep them there, when too many are determined to self-destruct, is remarkable.
- There are several who deserve special recognition for their work with mentally ill offenders. Catherine Bachtold is a dedicated professional who is receptive to new ideas and who has the patience of a saint with difficult "clients." Maggie Morales-Aina voluntarily teaches a parenting class for female jail inmates ! and has facilitated therapy groups for at-risk children o! f probationers.
- Under the able leadership of Stephen Enders and Deborah King, and with the support of Judge Mary Anne Bramblett, the department has earned statewide respect. This makes the political shenanigans in Austin -- the wanton axing of programs and people -- all the more outrageous.
- A fine department is in peril of being hurled back into the Dark Ages, just as offenders who could be better habilitated in the community are in peril of being hurled into overcrowded prisons.
- Karen Gold
- Central El Paso