FAMILY OF HOT CHECK WRITERS ARRESTED DURING 2ND DAY OF ROUNDUPS
On Wednesday October 22, 2008, the second day of roundups, officers from the El Paso Sheriff Department, the County Attorney’s Office, Texas DPS Troopers, and County Constables continued conducting warrant roundups against individuals with outstanding hot checks.
Today officers arrested 14 individuals, among them 3 members of the same family with outstanding warrants for writing hot checks. Early this morning officers arrested 48-year-old Ricardo Chacon at a residence in West El Paso. Officers also picked up his daughter 28-year-old Gabriella Chacon, who was listed as living at an apartment complex also in West El Paso. When Chacon’s wife, 41-year-old Mirna Vega showed up at the jail to bond them out, the officers decided to run her name and discovered that she also had an outstanding warrant for writing hot checks. All of them were released after paying $1,060 in restitution.
With today’s roundup, the County Attorney’s Office collected an additional $17,250 for local merchants. That amount, along with the $120,829 that were collected since the beginning of the amnesty period on October 3, 2008, brings the total collection to more than $138,000.
With today’s detentions the number of individuals arrested is now 29. In the upcoming days investigators from the County Attorney's Office will continue their search for individuals with outstanding arrest warrants. Individuals with outstanding hot-checks may attempt to avoid arrest in upcoming roundups by paying as soon as possible.
However, the amnesty period is over, and law enforcement officers can conduct arrests at any time without prior notice. To make payments individuals need to go to the El Paso County Attorney’s Office, 5th floor of the County Courthouse, 500 E. San Antonio, Monday thru Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Forms of payment accepted include most credit cards, money orders, cashiers checks, and cash, however those paying cash would have to bring the exact amount (cashiers can’t give change). For more information regarding hot check payments and balances please contact the El Paso County Attorney’s Office Hot Check Unit at 546-2051. The complete and updated list of individuals with theft by check outstanding warrants will remain posted in the El Paso County web site at: www.epcounty.com/CA.
Resident with no access to a computer can look up their names by picking up one of more than 10,000 free copies of the printed warrants list that have been distributed throughout El Paso County at the following locations:
- El Paso Police Headquarters 911 N. Raynor El Paso, TX 79903
- EPP Central Regional Command 200 S. Campbell St. El Paso, TX 79901
- EPP Mission Valley Command 9011 Escobar Dr. El Paso, TX 79907
- EPP Northeast Regional Command 9600 Dyer St. El Paso, TX 79924
- EPP Pebble Hills Command 10780 Pebble Hills El Paso, TX 79935
- EPP Westside Regional Command 4801 Osborne Dr. Paso, Texas 79922
- El Paso County Sheriff's Office Vinton Substation 436A E. Vinton Road
- El Paso County Sheriff's Office Headquarters 3850 Justice Drive
- Justice of the Peace #2 (Northeast) 4641 Cohen, Suite A
- Justice of the Peace #1 (West-side) 424 Executive Center Suite 100
- Anthony Police Department 401 Wildcat Dr, Anthony TX
- Horizon Police Dept. 14999 Darrington Rd. Horizon City, TX
- Socorro Police Dept. 800 N Rio Vista Rd. Socorro, TX
- Vista Foods Supermarket 121 N. Kenazo
- Vista Foods Supermarket Central 2231 N. Zaragosa
- Vista Foods Supermarket Montana Vista 14700 Montana
- La Feria Grocery and Market 502 S Mesa St., El Paso, TX
- La Feria Supermarket Anthony 317 Main St, Anthony TX
- Mr. Payroll Check Cashing 4426 Dyer St
- All five Quality Food Marts in El Paso
- All six Melek locations in El Paso
# # #
Hot Check Roundup Day 2 Press Release.pdf