County Attorney’s Office Employees Go Above And Beyond Their Duty To Serve The Community
During fiscal year that ended on September 30, 2010, employees of the El Paso County Attorney's Office volunteered to provide more than 700 hours of community service.
Volunteerism is part of a long tradition implemented by former County Attorney José R. Rodríguez and that continues under Jo Anne Bernal's administration. As part of that tradition both attorneys and staff members are encouraged to participate in community organizations, and to donate time and money to help El Paso residents.
This year the El Paso County Attorney's Office has had several outstanding examples of community service:
- Assistant County Attorney Erich Morales is the Chair of the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure El Paso. Earlier this year received the "Promise of One" national award for his work with the organization. This is his 5th year serving in this position.
- Assistant County Attorney Richard Deck is the current president of the local chapter of NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness).
- Assistant County Attorney Tracy Almanzán is member of the board of directors of AVANCE El Paso and the Rio Grande Safe Communities Coalition.
- Assistant County Attorney Marilyn Mungerson is member of the board of directors of the Child Crisis Center.
- Assistant County Attorney Laura Christopherson is member of the board of the Advocacy Center for the Children of El Paso (ACCEP).
- Assistant County Attorney Clinton Cross is member of the board of directors of Appleseed Texas.
- Assistant County Attorney Cristina Viesca-Santos is member of the Board of directors of Keep El Paso Beautiful.
- Assistant County Attorney Michael Wyatt is Vice-President of the board of the ACLU Texas.
- Assistant County Attorney Bruce Yetter is member of the board of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of El Paso.
- Assistant County Attorney Janet Montero is member of the board of S.T.A.R.S. (Sexual Trauma and Assault Response Services).
- Assistant County Attorney Lucila Camarena is member of the board of the Center Against Family Violence.
Other members of the County Attorney's Office provided hundreds of hours of community service, from helping to paint rooms at the Center Against Family Violence, to collecting food and toys for needy families in the outskirts of the county.
In total, during fiscal year 2010, the employees of the El Paso County Attorney's Office participated in more than 600 office related events, and provided training to more than 40,000 individuals, including minors and adults.
El Paso County Attorney Jo Anne Bernal said she is proud of the amount of community work performed by the employees of her office.
"The employees in the County Attorney's Office provide great legal services and community services through their community activities," said County Attorney Jo Anne Bernal.
"During this season of giving, I congratulate all of them for their efforts and commitment to public service," Bernal concluded.
# # #
CA Community Service Press Release.pdf