Internships and Volunteer Opportunities
The County of El Paso believes our internships provide relevant work experience that can translate to acquiring skills needed for future employment whether with the County of El Paso or any other valuable organization.
All Volunteer or Internship candidates must meet the following criteria:
- be at least 17 years of age, or enrolled as a high school senior with good academic standing; (During the summer months, May through August, the age must be at least 14 years of age depending on area of assignment.);
- agree to work at least 8 hours per week on a volunteer basis or as the criteria for the student internship applies;
- agree to attend all assigned classes and events required of their education;
- agree to complete all assigned tasks, within the deadline and with appropriate supervision;
- agree to uphold the County of El Paso Code of Ethics; and
- agree to and abide by the policies and procedures set forth by the County of El Paso, as they apply to employees.
In addition to the criteria above, Internship candidates are also subject to the following requirements:
- Candidate must be currently enrolled in an accredited educational institution;
- Candidates may be required to work a pre-determined or specific number of hours in order to earn internship credit. The cumulative hours are established by their educational institution. Students may be allowed to work more than the minimum hours specified, but not more than 40 hours in one week; and
- Based on the educational institution, interns shall be placed in departments that offer specific skills or educational background in order to satisfy the requirement.
- The County commits to providing interns/volunteers with practical and realistic learning experiences by working in participating departments.
Interns may participate for any or all of the following reasons:
- To earn credit hours towards their degree plans;
- To receive “on the job” experience;
- To develop industry specific mentors; and
- To add value of the experience to their lives and current or future careers.
Participating departments whose interns and volunteers utilize paid parking in a County garage while performing County business may request for the County to pay their parking fees.