Monday - Friday
8:00 am - 5:30 pm
500 E. San Antonio
El Paso, Texas 79901
Phone (915) 546-2071
Fax (915) 546-2012 Main Office
Fax (915) 543-3806 Vitals Department (Vitals Request)
Fax (915) 543-3816 Cashier/Recording Department (CIQ filings)
El Paso County Clerk
- Both applicants must be present and appear before the County Clerk (Exceptions refer to Absent Affidavit).
- The cost of the license is $82.00.
- Forms of Payment accepted: Cash or Credit - CASH, CREDIT OR DEBIT ACCEPTED. NO PERSONAL CHECKS ACCEPTED.
- There is no provision to waive the $82.00 license fee.
- Submit proof of identity and age as provided by Section 2.005 (b)
- A certified copy of a birth certificate or State, U.S. or a foreign government Drivers license, military ID, passport. The forms of identification presented will not be accepted if mutilated or altered. (For example: torn, taped together, or laminated)
- Both parties must provide all information as required on the application and as requested by the clerk.
- Both parties must take the oath printed on the application and sign the application in the presence of the clerk.
- If either applicant has been divorced by a decree of a Court of the State of Texas, the applicant (s) must wait 30 days from the date of the final decree to apply for a marriage license unless waived by the court. (Section 2.009 Texas Family Code).
- After the issuance of the marriage license. The marriage ceremony may not take place during a 72- hour period. Unless an applicant is a member of the Armed Forces of the United States and on active duty; if not a member of the Armed Forces of the United State but performs work for the US Dept. of Defense as a employee or a contractor with the Department; may obtain a written waiver from a District Judge. ( Section 2.204 Texas Family Code).
- The marriage ceremony must be preformed before the 90th day after the license is issued, otherwise the Marriage License Will Expire. (Section 2.201 of the Texas Family Code).
- Application for marriage license by a minor
- A person under 18 (16 & 17) years of age applying for a license must provide to the County Clerk:
- Proof of identity as provided by Section 2.005 (b.)
- Must be accompanied by a parent or person authorized by a Court order to sign legal consent (Sec.2.103)
- Anyone under the age of 16, must petition a Court Order to get married. (Sec.2.103)
- INFORMATION ON ABSENT AFFIDAVITS MUST BE OBTAINED IN PERSON ONLY.
- REQUIREMENTS FOR DECLARATION AND REGISTRATION OF INFORMAL (COMMON-LAW) MARRIAGES
- Both parties must be present. No exceptions.
- Proof of identity and age must be presented. Sec. 2.005 (b)
- Both parties must be 18 or older.
- Both parties must supply all information and take the oath as required on the form prescribed by the Bureau of Vital Statistics and provided by the County Clerk.
- Each party will sign the declaration in the clerks presence.
- The clerk may not issue or record the declaration if either party checks "false" in response to the statement of relationship to the other party.
- The cost of the declaration is $37.00 and there is no provision to waive the fee.
- PROCESSING OF EXECUTED AND RETURNED MARRIAGE LICENSES
- Marriage licenses can be returned to this office in a number of ways
- 1. Returned in by one or both parties married
- 2. Returned in by the person performing the marriage
- 3. Mailed to the office by the couple or person performing the marriage
- The person who performs the marriage ceremony shall record on the license the date on which and the county in which the ceremony is preformed and the person's name, subscribe the license, and return the license to the County Clerk who issued and it is not later than the 30th day after the date the ceremony is performed.
- A person who fails to comply with this section commits an offense. An offense under this section is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of not less than $200 and not more than $500. (Sec. 2.206)
- - The original license is mailed back to the couple after approximately 4-6 weeks
- - Note: It is highly recommended the license be hand-carried to be recorded where possible.